Study permits: Working on campus (2024)

On-campus employment

Full-time post-secondary students may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college at which they are a full-time student [R186(f)]. This authorization will be indicated on their study permit and will be valid for the period for which they hold a study permit at the institution and during which they are enrolled in full-time studies.

This regulation applies to students who are

  • engaged in full-time studies at
    • a public post-secondary institution, such as
      • a college
      • a trade or technical school
      • a university
      • a CEGEP (in Quebec)
    • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions in Quebec
    • a private or public secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to
      • a diploma of vocational studies (DVS)
      • an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
    • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees, such as an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, but only if the student is enrolled in a program of study leading to a degree, as authorized by the province, which may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution
  • working
    • at any number of jobs on campus, or
    • as a research or teaching assistant at facilities off campus in research related to their research grant. These facilities can include teaching hospitals, clinics and research institutes that have a formal association or affiliation with the learning institution.

Students who have not had to submit to an immigration medical examination (IME) as part of their study permit application will have to undergo an IME if their on-campus work occurs in a hospital or any other location where the protection of public health is essential. For more information, find out who must submit to an immigration medical examination.

Full-time students with a part-time course load in their final academic session

Students whose study permit indicates that they are authorized to work on campus and who have maintained full-time status for the duration of their program of study, but who only require a part-time course load in their final academic session in order to complete their program of study, are allowed to work on campus for an unlimited number of hours per week during their final academic session.

If it is not indicated on the study permit of the international student that they are authorized to work on campus, but it is indicated that the international student is authorized to work off campus, then the international student who studies on a full-time basis throughout their program of study except during their final academic session is allowed to work in their final academic session off campus or on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

Definition of on-campus work

On-campus work is defined as occurring at employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus. The students are only allowed to work on the campus of the educational institution at which they are registered in full-time studies. If an institution has more than one campus, the student can work at different locations on those campuses provided they are within the same municipality. If an institution has campuses in different cities, the student is restricted to working on the campus where they are registered as a full-time student.

Students may work as teaching or research assistants on campus or in a building affiliated with the institution but located outside the physical boundaries of the institution’s campus, such as a library, hospital, or research facility. This work is allowed, provided it is strictly related to the student’s research grant.

Students who are eligible for on-campus work can work remotely for employers located within the boundaries of the educational institution at which the students are registered. It is recommended that employers provide a teleworking agreement to the students as confirmation.

The employer can be any of the following:

  • the institution
  • a faculty member
  • a student organization
  • the students themselves (self-employment taking place on campus)
  • a private business
  • a private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus

On-campus employers include those whose businesses might also serve the general public, as long as the place of business is located on the institution’s campus.

Note: Students need a social insurance number (SIN) to work in Canada. To apply for a SIN for on-campus employment, they must have a valid study permit. Students can apply for a SIN before or within the first 3 days of employment.

Study permits: Working on campus (2024)


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Eusebia Nader

Last Updated:

Views: 5993

Rating: 5 / 5 (80 voted)

Reviews: 95% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Eusebia Nader

Birthday: 1994-11-11

Address: Apt. 721 977 Ebert Meadows, Jereville, GA 73618-6603

Phone: +2316203969400

Job: International Farming Consultant

Hobby: Reading, Photography, Shooting, Singing, Magic, Kayaking, Mushroom hunting

Introduction: My name is Eusebia Nader, I am a encouraging, brainy, lively, nice, famous, healthy, clever person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.